[LRflex] Re: Pole Bending

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 06:59:11 -0700

Good Morning, Ted!

You wrote:
David Young showed:

<http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Dust.htm>http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Dust.htm

Hi David,
An excellent action picture including the dust.

Thanks!

The rider has her tongue between her teeth in concentration, The depth of field covers the sharpness of both the horse?s head/face and the rider? usually one or the other can be soft in this on coming type action.

Smaller film formats (minox, 16mm, etc.) always seem to display a greater inherent DOF. This is also true of the 4/3rds sensor. At roughly 1/4 the area of a 35mm film frame, if offers more DOF at the same focal length & aperture. Not so startlingly wide as in the Minox (2' to infinity, wide open!) but enough to gain the DOF range shown in this photo.

You must be amassing a fine collection of rodeo pictures. I?d hope you are also watching for the sponsor logos behind and around the actions purely as ?FOR SALE? images to said sponsors. Or media requests as well as stock images. And every week when you have your usual smashing photos you contact every sponsor with photos you have with their name clearly visible in the frame.

I have submitted several (you'll remember last years bronc rider with the Wrangler sign in the background). All have been met with a very polite refusal. The sticking point is model releases. It seems that, these days, if you haven't got the release, when you submit, you're dead in the water.

The real problem is that you cannot even get them afterwards ... for a cowboy will often do one rodeo in the morning and move out within minutes of his last contest, so that he can be at another rodeo in the afternoon.

I've done much better, posting rodeo photos on the web. Cowboys (and girls) and their families then order prints. This has provided many hundreds of $$ in sales, so far. As well, if I am contacted by a cowboy who is in a "saleable" photo, I offer him an extra free print, in return for a signed model release. Most (but not all) will go for that!

Once again another fine action photograph! Actually it must look great as a 13X19 size print!

Haven't got that far, yet, but I think I will!

As you go from one rodeo to the next, do you take an 8.5X11 print in envelope ready for immediate sale to the riders, families and friends? Many of them must do the circuits every weekend so have a print along can automatically put dollars in your pocket. Besides, by now you must becoming ?THE RODEO SHOOTER OF THE DAY!? to competitors and crowds so they? almot automatically expect you to come along with a photo of thm in action. Trust me they don?t always have to be the ?million dollar shot?! J

There are many rodeo circuits and the cowboys you see at one rodeo are usually not at the next. Very frustrating. Thus, I don't take prints, but a small "brochure", just 1/6th of a letter sized sheet, telling 'em where they can find my photos. These I give away, liberally, and it seems to work.

Thanks, as always, for your advice, both business and photographic.  :-)

David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net
Rodeo Photos: www.galleries.furnfeather.net