[LRflex] Re: (LRflex) Shopping Frustration

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 08:44:58 -0700

Richard  wrote:

Hello List,
my name's Richard and I'm still new here, but it seems like a nice group of users here. I have received some nice comments about the Image I posted a link to on the list to an image I shot with my Zeiss Pancolar on my 20D. (<http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3522/3267824103_9f55579064_b.jpg>http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3522/3267824103_9f55579064_b.jpg) Since I'm not yet a member of the "R" ownership club as of yet, I kind of felt a need to establish having some Chops as a Photographer if I'm going to be posting around these parts. As for "Shopping Frustration": I simply want to ask about any tips or info a list member might be able to pass along because, so far, the only thing I've been able to get with months of searching eBay, the 'Net, and Locally, for 'R' equipment is a terrible case of Shoppers Frustration. Everything I encounter seems to be outlandishly expensive limited editions, collectors items, and f0.0 Niche Lenses on the top end and the bottom end are all pricey near mint condition stuff commanding premium prices. Where the heck can I find the stuff someone's actually USED, that has wear on the outside, cleaning marks and (Heaven Forbid!) even a scratch in the coating. The "3 Cam" & ROM Lenses (?did I say that right?) might be the latest greatest, I surmise, but there must be something usable about those 1 cam or 2 cam lenses, too, isn't there? I'm willing to try em! Sigh.

Hi Richard!

One cam lenses are only useable on the original Leicaflex ... that is why they appear on the market at quite low prices. Two cam lenses can be used on the Leicaflex and the Leicaflex SL and SL2 cameras. But, to use the newer R3, R4, R4s, R5, RE, R6, R6.2, R7, R8 or R9, you will need either 3 cam or "3rd cam only" lenses. BTW: "3rd cam only" and the newest ROM lenses are not common and can only be used on the "R" series, whereas 3 cam lenses can be used on any Leica Reflex, from the original "flex", onwards. Because of their greater versatility, they command higher prices for any given level on condition.

For more on this, see:

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Lens-R.html~mainFrame

Doug Herr has offered some Leicaflex SL's in working but not pristine condition, lately, on our Friday for Sale days, at some very reasonable prices. Recently, Aram sold an R4 though this list, at, IIRC, $200, in pretty decent shape. I even considered buying it!

You might wish to place a Wanted To Buy note, on Friday, as well, for others may have older, unused gear that you might convince them to part with.

However, be warned that Leica gear commands a higher price in the market place, even for beaters, than most brands. The trick is to be patient. The right gear, at the right price (or close to it) will come along, eventually.

Meanwhile, nobody is going to throw you off this list because you don't have the gear. This is a list "for those who own, or wished they owned" Leica Reflex gear. It is the love of the stuff, not the ownership of it, which binds us all together.

David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net
Rodeo Photos: www.galleries.furnfeather.net