[LRFlex] Re: Polarizer results.. subjective quality of image also important?

  • From: "Steven Rosenthal" <steverose108@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:23:26 -0800

Just for fun I got out ALL my polarizers today, and looked thru 'm. Sorry I
do not yet ascend to the level of B+W filter quality...they are mostly
decent older Tiffen USA and well made older Hoya (Japanese made)... and a
bunch of no-name Japanese and Korean ones at the bottom of my bag.  Maybe
five in all, are all linear, I don't believe they are coated, certainly not
multicoated.  However, I did notice that there was a noticible difference as
regards the quality of the image in the finder, which I would assume would
be borne out on film. I had never thought to compare them, thought I would
throw this out there for discussion.

The best one (Tiffen, it turned out) yielded a pleasant image, when dialed
down all the way for maximum reduction of glare on a shiny plant leaf... I
know it is subjective but it just seemed nice. Also I did not have to darken
the image that much to achieve a great deal of glare reduction. Whereas the
others seemed to require such polarization that the image was not only
darker, perhaps a third stop? hard to say... but the images were just harsh,
very dark, as if the zones of contrast were terribly compressed. Not at all
appealing.