[LRFlex] Polarizer results

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:04:57 -0800

Scott Gardner wrote:

Hmmm . . . I find this interesting . . .

I already deleted David's original response or I'd reply to it, but I recall him saying he has quite happily used a linear polarizer for years with his 'R' series cameras and may prefer the results to those he gets with a circular polarizer.

I mainly use a polarizer to reduce glare from water or glass (when needed) or to darken the sky for some landscapes. I've noticed that the reduction of glare and the darkening effect are both substantially lessened when I use my Rodenstock (Jet-Pol) circular polarizer vs. my old Nikon linear model.

During this period, I used, (in order) an Oly OM-1, R3, R5 and then R6, and shot a mixture of chrome and neg film.

H. Herr suggested David may have used negative film with enough latitude to compensate exposure errors, but I'm wondering if that's true and if not, a linear polarizer may indeed 'work'. David, do you shoot 'chromes with your linear polarizer attached?

In recent years, I've shot nothing but colour neg. (Sadly, I've discovered that people will sit and look at a photo album, but run like hell, when you bring out the slide projector!)

I used chromes, (mostly K25 & K64) however, for many years with my old linear polarizer and found no (significant) problems, even though the books all warned me there would be exposure errors with a linear polarizer.

When I bought the circular one, I was most disappointed with it and it languishes, in my kit, virtually unused. :(

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm