[LRflex] Re: Orphan Works...

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 10:58:13 -0700

At 03/05/2008, you wrote:
On Sat, 03 May 2008 09:23:25 -0700
David Young wrote:
>, the copyright notice used by Philippe" "Copyright
>Philiumix" offers no legal protection at all. Sorry,
>Philippe, but with no name and no contact, you might as
>well not bother.

Well, in earnest, I don't - I shoot to share my pleasure - I would of course be sorry if someone made money out of them, but then am I going to check the net for thieves, and more to the point, are my snappies worth all the trouble of legal protection? I seriously doubt it for own myself.

Yours and Doug's are another caliber, and deserve credits, and payment.

I recently gave some shots to the tourist office of a town in the South, the first thing they did was to crop my name out (4/3 down to 3/2 , clever) - made me laugh.

I'll sure take your advice into account , even if I don't intend to sell anything.

Thanks for the tips.

Hi Philippe:

My apologies if it sounded as if I was singling you out as a "bad example"... that was not my intention.

My note was intended for all who create photos of commercial grade and who wish to protect them for possible future use, even if they have no intentions of selling them, now.

I realize that, at this stage, you have no financial interest in your photos... but that may change, as many of yours are of very high quality and quite sellable... your 04-heron-gotcha2 is just one example. So you, and many like you, may wish to protect such assets for the future. If so, knowing the coming changes to copyright legislation, is worthwhile.

I too, give many of my photos away, to the town, the forest service and the local tourism agencies, amongst others. However, I also give them a sheet which says that the copyright remains with me, but that I grant them unlimited, non-exclusive license to use the photos, without fee, provided that they supply a small photo credit with each use. This credit is in the form of

"Photo: (c) D. Young - www.furnfeather.net"

This protects me, in case I have the opportunity to sell the shot, at a later date, and (with luck) will bring one or two other visitors to my website. Yet it still allows them free use of the photos and they all have been most willing to go along with the request.

Even without payment, it's always good for the ego, to see your photo credit. Just ask Ted! Sorry your "southern tourism agency" cut out yours! :-(