[LRflex] Orphan Works...

Those who have taken the time to look at my recently posted shots will have noticed that the photos have a new copyright notice.

Over the next few weeks, all my published photos will gain this notice rather than the cute "roundel" I've been using.

The reason is"orphaned works" legislation, currently on the books in the UK and USA. If enacted (and it seems likely), anybody will have the right to use any unidentified photo, without payment, providing they've made "reasonable efforts" to contact the copyright owner and make arrangements for its use. Thus, copyright notices need now to show not only the copyright owner's name, but some means of contacting the copyright owner. The simplest way to do this is to list a website and then ensure that you have a "contact" on the site. In this way, you can maintain a way user can reach you, even if you change your address.

It is also now advisable to put copyright/contact info in the Exif data of your shots. The easiest way to do this is to do it during "ingestion" ... when moving your photos from the camera/card reader to your computer. I understand that LightRoom, amongst others, can be set up to do this automatically. In this way, the copyright data remains, even if the "thief" uses photoshop to remove your visible notice.

Of course, the next trick is to ensure that all your photos are posted with the Exif data intact ...it is very easy to create .jpgs w/o the Exif data.

Now, true thieves can use PS and edit/remove the exif data, but then, they'll steal your photos, no matter. The only real defense against those guys is to use low res, small size, heavily compressed .jpgs. F'rinstance ... a .jpg made at 100dpi, in 400x600 pixels will print out @300 dpi as a 1.5x2" print. Even if the shot is interpolated up, quality will be poor... and that's your best defense.

The copyright notices which Doug has used for some time "(c) Doug Herr - www.wildlightphoto.com" are excellent. OTOH, the copyright notice used by Philippe" "Copyright Philiumix" offers no legal protection at all. Sorry, Philippe, but with no name and no contact, you might as well not bother.

A word to the wise...
---

David Young,
Logan Lake, CANADA