[LRflex] Re: One more Canon adaptor question.

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 10:47:37 -0700

At 04/06/2007, you wrote:
>Hello Aram,
>I just tried it an M42 adapter with FC and a Pentax 2.5/135 on the
>predecessor model Canon 300D (Digital Rebel) and on a film (!) EOS 500
>N, it works on both , but it doesn't activate the sound signal on the
>film body (maybe there isn't one), it does however light the "in focus"
>light.
>It certainly works on the 20D so three out of three Canon bodies seems
>to indicate a high probability for it working on the XTi/400D.
>Adapters for CY and Leica should be arriving tomorrow - hopefully.
>Cheers
>Douglas

HI Aram!

To add to what Douglas has written...  read the ads carefully, when
you buy your adapter.

Mine works fine, on the 30d, and is said to run on the XTi/400d just
fine. It should.  However, when buying the camera we tried to put the
adapter on the Canon 5D, and it would not go on!  Apparently, my
adapter is the EF-S mount, and will fit/work with any Canon using the
smaller sensors (EF-S mount).  It will now work or fit on any of the
film or full frame (EF-mount) bodies. Obviously, however, Douglas has
one with the EF mount, which will go on all the bodies!

Moreover, on the 30D mine does activate the "beep"... so it is
possible that Douglas' 300D and EOS 500 do not have a "beep", or that
it needs to be turned on, via the menu.  (I had to turn on the "beep"
on the 30d menu.. o/w only the focus light (in the finder) would come on.

Further thoughts...

Focus Confirmation works with my:

21/4 SA
50/2
90/2
80~200/4 Vario
80~200/4 Vario with 2x converter ... though wide open (f8) it's
getting a wee bit problematic for subjects in deep shade.
400/6.8 Telyt though it's a wee bit problematic for subjects in deep shade.

FC does NOT work with the 400/6.8 Telyt and 2x converter - except
very rarely, in brilliant sunshine.  Even then, it usually will not work!

Proof:

The current Loon photo (See: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/ and then
click on "Featured Photo", on the left.) was focused with the help of
FC, as the loon was in deep shade.  Even with the f8 w/o aperture of
the 80~200 Vario & 2x, the FC worked just fine.  Certainly, if you
look at the sharpness in the water droplets on the loons head, or the
crispness of the iris in it's eye, you would have a hard time doing
much better, by straight eyeball!

My advice?  Go for it!  I bought a relative "cheapie" adapter, and
I'm very happy with the results!