[LRflex] Re: New Poll: "R" lenses to Digital Bodies

  • From: George Lottermoser <imagist3@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 13:05:10 -0500

15 Super Elmar
21 Super Angulon f4
24 Elmarit
35 Summilux
35 Summicron
50 Summilux
50 Summicron
60 Macro Elmarit
80 Summilux
100 Apo Macro Elmarit
180 Apo Elmarit
400 and 560 6.8 Telyt heads.

On my DMR all work perfectly with 1.37 crop

On my Can5D full frame:
15 will work but not focused at infinity (careful use)
21 works at infinity
24 will work but not focused at infinity (careful use)
35 cron works at infinity
35 lux will not work well unless you're focusing at 4 feet or less.
50 cron works at infinity
50 lux works at infinity
60 works at infinity
80 works at infinity
100 works infinity
180 works infinity

I've tested every lens on the 5D and DMR
locked on a solid tripod, same subject, same light, same distance
in every case the DMR delivers more fine detail, micro contrast and dynamic
range than the 5D
(which leads me to believe that the DMR CCD significantly out performs the 5D
Cmos.

All the R lenses are PITA to focus on the 5D view finder compared to the R8
view finder.
So my camera of choice remains the R8.

The 5D is pleasure to use with Canon AF lenses (24-70 and 70-200 in my case);
and a decent back up to the R8/DMR.

If and when the DMR dies I will not consider using R lenses on the 5D as my
main professional tools.
I'd have to move to a new system. Either adding Canon Primes or Moving to Nikon.
While I'm told that the live view on the 5D II makes fine focusing possible;
I have a hard time imagining working this way for portraits, action, etc.

My only real hope is that the current or future Cmos chips begin to perform as
well as the DMR CCD;
and that C or N develop a view finder as bright and clear as the R8.

These systems are designed as systems
and while it's fun to hang every sort of glass from each
and other systems on our C, O, P and N bodies;
and just because we can;
it's not a practical solution for professional production work IMO.

YMMV

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@xxxxxxxxxxx