[LRflex] Re: New Poll: 'R' lenses to Digital Bodies

  • From: "walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 12:27:20 +0800

Leica R7, 50mm Summicron, 90mm Summicron, 35-70mm f4, 80-200mm f4.  I too use a
converted Sigma SD14 with my R glass and mostly happy with the results.  My R
solution might be the new Sigma SD15 with the larger foveon sensor.

Steve, I wouldn't mind seeing some of those macro shots when you have them.

Walter

On Thu Oct  7 22:04 , 'Steve Lewis' <scl@xxxxxxxx> sent:

>As of early this summer I've been using my Leica R lenses (35/2.8, 50/2.0,
>90/2.8,
80-200/4, 180/3.4 and 400/6.3) on a modified Sigma SD14 for digital work, or a
SL2
and R8 for film. The results have been pleasing, but I've unfortunately not had
much opportunity to get out and shoot, due to a severe foot injury. I'm just
now
starting to be able to walk for more than 15 minutes at a time, and with autumn
at
our doorstep, I think the timing is pretty good to enjoy shooting this fall.
The
only issue I encountered with the SD14 (on which I installed a Sigma  Cum Laude
Leica R mount) was two lenses needed their shrounds trimmed slightly. I read
over
the history of others' attempts and successes, including some members of this
site,
and felt confident but apprehensive...so chose to use a microfile rather than a
Dremel tool. Everything worked fine and all lenses focus to infinity. The crop
factor is a whopping 1.7. As my funds are quite limited, a really wide Leica
lens
was out of t
> he question. I found a good used Tamron 17mm/3.5 using an Adaptall mount and
> had
a Leica R adapter, so was set to go - giving me a 17mm lens on the R bodies as
well
as an equivalent 28mm on the digital. I'm hoping to try to convert a Leica
extension tube to universal use for macro work in the next couple of
weeks...have
read Doug Herr's guidance and am just waiting to get everything sorted out in
my
mind before tackling it. IMHO the macro work will be the real test of the Sigma
SD14 with Leica gear for me.