[LRflex] Re: New Orleans Sight

  • From: "William B. Abbott III" <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:24:19 -0800

Sonny,

You are right about the mix that makes Paris and New Orleans, or any other city, what they are, and that is why I used the word evoke.

New Orleans has a special place in my family because my part of it began there. My mother and father met when he was at Tulane and she was at Sophie Newcomb studying music. He was a writer and worked on the Times Picayune part time.

He asked his friends what he could do to impress her and they told him that she had many admirers amongst the artists so he should give her a painting. The painting by Alberta Kinsey that he gave her, of Pirate Alley beside Saint Louis Catherdral, still hangs in my home. That one worked so well that on their 25th wedding anniversary he managed to find another Kinsey piainting of a typical New Orleans courtyard for her. Both have been gone now for many years but the memories remain.

Best regards,

Bill

On Dec 10, 2009, at 7:19 AM, Sonny Carter wrote:

Bill's shot is nice because it shows one of the details that make New Orleans different. You can put iron lacework up someplace, but it is the peculiar mix of sight, sound, smell, light, that makes the city what it is.

Kinda like the difference between chicken gumbo and chicken soup.

The benches are a relatively new re-addition to Jackson Square. You'll note they have separations to keep people from reclining in them. In the Hippie years, they removed all the benches and finally closed the square itself at night because it had become a giant bedroom.

I worked at WWL-TV in the French Quarter for many years, and often lunched on Jackson Square. The restaurant in the background has changed names many times, but the Lucky Dogs vendors have been there forever. Pretty good hot dogs, made up the way you like on the spot. They roll out in the mid morning, and depending on location, stay late into the night.

I live about four hours away now, but will be visiting my son Adam and his lovely cajun wife Savanna this weekend. He works at the New Orleans Marriott, so we'll stay there, about a five block walk from Jackson Square.

Not far away from this spot is the Moonwalk, overlooking the Mississippi River. That's the first place I kissed Kathy, 29 years ago. We got married a few weeks later.

Funny how a picture can spark some memories, huh?

--
Regards,

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com