[LRflex] Re: Neil's RF vs Digicam Comments

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 07:23:30 -0500

Hi,

> From: Bob Palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [LRflex] Re: Neil's RF vs Digicam Comments
>
> Neil -
>
> (Apologies for the detour into rangefinder discussions..)
>
> Do you currently own (and shoot with on a regular basis) an M??

No... I've been a "hard-core" SLR shooter, since the '60s.  ;-)

> All of the tradeoffs that I find are related to the designers'
> prioritization of teeny size and automation.  These are precisely the
> areas in which a digital rangefinder can offer some relief.
>
> In the low-light conditions which I encounter frequently, the digicams
> I've used don't focus where I want them to. In fact, they usually hunt
> around and then lock on infinity.

I agree that autofocus can fail (not only in low-light conditions), but in
that regard it seems that you are building more of a case for manual focus
cameras than for a rangefinder per se. Interestingly, unlike my Nikon
digicam, I found the manual focusing methods of the Lumix FZ10/20 to be
quite workable, and even easier in low-light than an SLR because of the
EVF.

> I haven't tried the 28-70 you mentioned, but can definitely believe
> it's quite good in the areas of flare and distortion (distortion
> should largely be correctible by software-based pixel re-mapping with
> probably minor image quality loss anyway).  Are you referring to a nice
big
> reflex lens? If so, this is a different ball game.

I was referring to the Vario-Elmar-R 28-70. My only fleeting urges of
temptation for a prime in that range is for a faster lens. The zoom on my
Nikon is also a good performer, though it's no match for the
Vario-Elmar-R.

>  And for my uses,
> 21mm (or equivalent field of view) is my standard wide.  I haven't
> seen that on a digicam.

Wide angle limitations are largely the result of small sensor size. I
don't think that there would be much of a problem producing a camera with
a lense equivalent to a 21mm if there was enough of a market to warrant
it, as such lenses are available for dSLRs.

> Unacceptable low light performance is not really a design choice.
> It's another byproduct of the teeny little sensors.

Using teeny little sensors is the design choice I was referring to.   ;-)

> In short, the designers of the digicams have done their jobs quite
> well.  Small size and automatic features sell cameras to the masses.
> The potential market for a digital M is basically those folks who
> currently (or 'till recently) use film-based M's on a regular basis.
> Which is just not really all that big (or young) of a group.

I agree with you about the potential market for a digital M, from both the
perspective of who might be attracted to such a product and how relatively
few those purchasers are likely to be.

Regards,

Neil