[LRflex] Re: Neil's RF vs Digicam Comments

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:07:32 -0500

Hi Bob,

Recently, you wrote:

> From: Bob Palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:59:12 -0500
>
> On Aug 30, 2005, at 10:25 AM, Neil Gould wrote:
>

>> IMO, RF cameras make more sense in the film world than in the digital
>> world. For one thing, there are a lot of compact digitals with zoom
>> lenses and EVFs which would be more versatile and convenient than
>>  an RF.
>>

> Versatile and convenient for some, but...
>
> The RF focuses on what you want and takes the picture when you want.

A digicam focuses on what you want... whether it takes the picture when
you want is a design choice. I agree that it is annoying to have
unpredictable time lapses between the pushing of the shutter button and
the actual capture. This isn't an issue for dSLRs, and needn't be one for
dZLRs.

> Primes instead of zooms usually mean less flare and distortion.

I used to think that, as well, but I was really quite pleasantly surprised
by the performance of my 28-70. It convinced me that modern lens design
has overcome those limitations sufficiently that I can't imagine
purchasing a prime in that range as a replacement.

> So far, those little digicams have looked lousy in low light without
> flash (recent developments may be changing this) and the teeny sensors
> make selective focus almost impossible.

Low light performance is another design choice. There isn't any technical
reason why the performance of a "little digicam" can't be exactly the same
as, say, a 20D. I'm not sure what you mean by "selective focus" being
impossible.

> You can't get really wide fields of view with those things and retain
> acceptable levels of quality.
>
> A digital M could potentially change all this.

Isn't that largely a matter of sensor size? If Leica used the same sensor
as in the DMR, I'd expect the same limitations to apply to a digital M.

> This doesn't mean it's the right thing to do from a business
> standpoint, though...

I agree with you on this!

Neil