[LRflex] Re: NY Int'l Auto Show

  • From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 13:10:05 -0400

> Good Mornin' Jeff!
>
> Nice to see you post!
>
> Nice shots, too!
>
> I'm curious ... I know the term "suicide doors", but can anyone
> explain to my *why* they're called that?
>
> Cheers!
> -------------
> David Young - Photographer
> Logan Lake, BC,  Canada

David,
    There are a lot of theories about that, to me the one that
is the most plausible is that, in the days before seat belts when
these doors were more common, if you were going around a sharp
bend and leaning against the door and the door came unlatched
somehow, the wind would quickly blow it all the way open and
you would be out of the car, and it would probably spoil your day.

Jeff,
    Great shots.  Remarkable to get the texture of the fine paint work
with such fast film.  The cars are also very well posed.  It's
nearly impossible to get the obligatory girl in the image without
a lot of consequential clutter nearby. :-)

--
  Charlie Falke                                        _____      /\
  "One test result is worth                       |    |/        `o
    one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun  0  N4003M
  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein