[LRflex] Re: IMG: Bald Eagle

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 10:51:07 -0500 (EST)

David Young wrote:

>At 12/27/2009, you wrote:
>>Yesterday at Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge:
>>
>>http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/baea02.html
>>
>>technical stuff: R8/DMR, 560mm f/6.8 Telyt, moderate crop, twigs
>>cloned out of UL corner.  Heavy overcast light.  Shutter speed was
>>WAAAY too slow, I was using my truck as a blind & I wedged myself
>>into an immovable position between the truck's passenger seat and
>>the dashboard.  Hand-held with shoulder stock.  All comments welcome.
>>
>>Doug Herr
>

>G'mornin' Doug!
>
>I know that position well !!!   However, when I use it, it's usually
>-20 and snowing!
>
>Too slow a shutter speed, or not, it is absolutely gorgeous!
>
>So just what shutter speed was "too slow"?  (I'd have said it was perfect!)

Shutter speed was 1/125 sec IIRC.  I should also mention I deliberately took
advantage of the 560's field curvature by placing the bird's head in the center
of the viewfinder so that the back and tail, closer to the camera than the
head, would be in the outer areas of the image circle.  Thanks for looking, and
for your comments.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com