[LRFlex] Case Steamers

  • From: DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:31:27 -0400

Noel,
Thank the deity that people have preserved them, the sound, sight and
smell of a running steamer is something
to be savoured. The makers obviously put a lot of pride and artistry
into them too, whether as agricultural machines
or as Showmans Engines. If you compare the British and US engines
there's a fascinating difference in style, US machines
look somehow delicate with their spoked wheels (with the exception of
the enormous Best Vertical Boilered beasts)
The Geiser Peerless with a spark arrester smokestack (chimney) or the
Fricks and Hubers
(funny, they all sound very German now that I come to think of it) like
something a child drew.

When I was about 6 or 7  my father used to take me to watch Leeds United
FC at Elland Road
Leeds, to get there we passed the Hunslet engine works, and what was
left of Fowlers of Leeds, my father always had to lift me
up to let me look over the fence, Fowlers scrapyard, as it was then,
would now be a paradise for collectors, rusting and rotting R3s
B5s,B6s, - sob and sigh. After my dad found out that I only wanted to
watch the railway yards and the mainline express trains
which ran close to the stadium my early introduction to soccer was soon
over.
Douglas

PS I have a couple of Wilesco model steam engines which I fire up
every now and again, our sons friends just couldn't believe that they
run without batteries.

--
Ihre bevorzugten Shops, hilfreiche Einkaufs-Hilfen und großartige
Geschenk Ideen. Erleben Sie das Vergnügen online einzukaufen mit