[LRFlex] Re: Black Phoebe

  • From: "Robert Meier" <robertmeier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:51:39 -0600

Doug,

That's the kind of evaluation I like -- direct, specific, and objective. I have always heard that those Canon FD L lenses were the best there was, but my experience with them, restricted to the 50/1.2 L, has not shown them to be anything special. I have, on the other hand, recently gotten a 180 Apo-Telyt, which I have been using on my SL (just put into fine shape by Sherry K.), and I have been getting that eye-popping detail you talk about. I have only shot B&W with it, so color is an unknown for me, but the tonality is also superb. This 180 is perhaps the finest lens I have ever used. I shoot entirely different subject matter than you, architecture and architectural details, but the 180 is the best for me. I don't think I will ever need a longer lens, but I have thought about getting the APO 2X extender to use with it. What is your experience with that?

BTW, I think Black Phoebe is a stunning shot.

Bob

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/tyrannidae/blph00.html

WOW! What a great lens. How does it compare to Telyts?

If I had the $$$$ to spare I'd replace it with a 400/2.8 APO-Telyt. The Canon FD 400/2.8 L allows me to use slower films in darker environments and I've very happy to have the added capability but I've been spoiled by the handling and image quality of the 280 f/4 APO-Telyt. So far I just haven't seen the knock-out eye-popping detail, color and tonality I've learned to expect from the APO-Telyt, and the Canon's focussing ring isn't as smooth and I still haven't found a good way to grip it. For what I paid it's an incredible bargain and I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it, but it ain't an APO-Telyt.

   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm