[LRFlex] Re: Black Phoebe

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:22:09 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/tyrannidae/blph00.html

> WOW!   What a great lens.   How does it compare to Telyts?

If I had the $$$$ to spare I'd replace it with a 400/2.8 APO-Telyt.  The Canon
FD 400/2.8 L allows me to use slower films in darker environments and I've very
happy to have the added capability but I've been spoiled by the handling and
image quality of the 280 f/4 APO-Telyt.  So far I just haven't seen the
knock-out eye-popping detail, color and tonality I've learned to expect from
the APO-Telyt, and the Canon's focussing ring isn't as smooth and I still
haven't found a good way to grip it. For what I paid it's an incredible bargain
and I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it, but it ain't an APO-Telyt.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm