Re: (no subject)

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:30:21 -0700

At 02:01 PM 7/5/2005, Henning Wulff wrote:

Hi Jim,

You still have to factor in the small format, in that DOF depends on the circle of confusion criteria. I just posted a bunch of stuff over the LUG on this. Somebody else's decent write-up of this is at:

http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/dofdigital/

--
   *            Henning J. Wulff

Right... I agree completely. But the "circle of confusion" simply defines what the user acceptable DOF will be. Which is why the URL I gave takes this into consideration, basically giving less DOF for the small sensor since it will have to be enlarged to a greater extent for viewing (8x10 in the examples.)

So, in user reality, an 80mm lens will give more DOF on a 4x5 film, than on a 35mm film, only because of the enlargement factor for human viewing. But optically, the same 80mm lens, making an image on different sized media (4x5, MF, 35, Minox) will exhibit the exact same DOF on the medium itself, assuming that the f/stop and distance are unchanged between media changes.

:-)

Jim