Re: (no subject)

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:04:30 -0700

David:
Use the barefoot 400mm f/6.8 on the 20D. Stop down to f/8 or 11, and go where local experts say you can find the wild subjects you're after. Marmots and other small mammals let you get amazingly close in some places: http://tinyurl.com/e2puy (I took this with Nikon's 80-200mm f/2.8 EDIF lens on a Nikon F5.)

Here's another example of a wild subject captured with a barefoot 400mm lens on an EOS 1D mark II, which has a 1.3X crop factor: http://tinyurl.com/b9axe

Large mammal subjects like bison or bears let you get away with a lot less lens.

At 08:21 AM 7/5/2005, you wrote:

All:

As most of you know, I'm having an absolute ball with Leica glass on a Canon 20D.

However, the 1.6 magnification factor is both a blessing and a curse.

As a wildlife enthusiast, I find the boost in the 400 Telyt + 2x converter to an effective 1280mm a huge asset. Not to mention a money saver - not having to buy a bigger lens! Another big plus is that this combination (at least, using the old SL 2x converter) suffered noticeable vignetting. It still does, but with the smaller, 17x23mm sensor, the vignetting does not appear in the final photo!

If you doubt this, compare:

<http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/Heron.htm>http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/Heron.htm to <http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/red-neck%20grebe.htm>http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/red-neck grebe.htm
The big problem with a 1280mm lens combo, is the incredible lack of Depth of Field.

Out at Tunkwa, the day before yesterday, I saw a marmot...

See: <http://www3.telus.net/~telyt>http://www3.telus.net/~telyt and then click on Featured Photo.

This shot is sharp as a tack ... see his (her?) right (our left) eye. Yet the DOF is so small at such focal lengths, that the nose and teeth are fuzzy, to the point where the entire photo looks unsharp. And closing down does not seem to make any appreciable difference, at least until you get to the point where you can't use the view finder, and it all becomes pointless.

Still, at high ISOs, the performance in all other respects, is remarkable.

Comments and criticism on the marmot (or any other shot) welcomed, as usual.

Thanks for looking.

David Young,
Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.
Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt
Leica Reflex Forum web-page: <http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm>http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm

Mark Bohrer
Mountain and Desert Photography
www.mountain-and-desert.com
Subscribe to my free newsletter for wildlife photo tips and print discounts!