Re: Nathan's PAW 27: Rain

  • From: Bob Adler <rgacpa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:01:58 -0700 (PDT)

Nathan,

Happy Summer! I enjoyed all of your images from this
posting, so thanks. I particularly liked the
composition of:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_27alt4.jpg
Just seemed well balanced to me.

One thing I've noticed in your cyclist photographs is
the lack of use of helmets. I guess we Americans are a
tad psycho (in this and many other ways), but we even
have laws here that make it a misdemeanor for any
child on a bike under 12 years old not to be wearing
one. Most adults were them religously, both to set an
example for our children and for safety (the true
story of a neighbor who rode down the block to get a
carton of milk, fell and hit his head on the curb
resulting in his death always is present in my mind).

Perhaps it's because our motorists are not as bike
aware as others or perhaps it's because we have more
motorists but I am always struck by your images where
there are children (as in your last link) riding
without a helmet. Obviously the majority of Europeans
are not as paranoid as us in my area of the woods.

Sorry for the OT Monday morning posting. I'll go drink
my coffee now. ;-)

Again, thank you for sharing your world with us
through these images and your words; always a
pleasure,
Bob

--- Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The first part of last week saw us revert to normal
> Dutch summer
> weather. I was travelling to Denmark on Monday, and
> as I arrived at the
> airport, I saw these unfortunates who had just
> arrived. Judging by the
> clothing, they had come back from somewhere nice and
> warm...
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_27.jpg
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_27alt1.jpg
> (these two images taken with on-topic equipment, to
> wit my "new" 50mm
> Summilux R).
>
> The rest of the images are from Friday morning, when
> I was in south
> Amsterdam. First, just a snap of an old lady's wet
> companion:
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_27alt2.jpg
>
> The rain was not as hard as it had been Monday
> morning at Schiphol, but
> I did get some of shots of cyclists coping with the
> rain (or ignoring it):
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_27alt3.jpg
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_27alt4.jpg
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_27alt5.jpg
>
> The complete PAW index is at:
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/indexpaw2005.html
> and comments & critique are welcome and appreciated.
>
> Nathan
> --
> Nathan Wajsman
> Almere, The Netherlands