[korgypark] Re: I am missing a sound!

  • From: "Mitch Dailey" <medailey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:34:58 -0700

Benny,
Try downloading sounds from the Korgy Park website.  If I don't use Bank A
Comb. #001 Piano Keys, I use one of the N264 (N364) banks that I downloaded
here at this site.  It's one of the programs called N264 Piano or something
like that.  It's Program #001 in the bank.  I have to say though, the piano
sounds from that era are not the best.  The X5D or X5DR uses the same sound
engine that originated with the M-1 through the N364.  The next generation of
Korg piano sounds that are on the Triton Studio use a 16Mb sample of a real
piano.  So basically, all the Korg keyboard with AI2 Synthesis from the 80's
and 90's are all generated piano sounds that fit in that era.  After I played
on a Triton Studio (Korg's next generation sound engine), I wanted to throw my
X5DR out the window.  It's so user friendly.  One of the reps from Korg showed
me how to sequence on the thing.  It was so easy.  It's all on the touch
screen.  After you are finished sequencing, you can save whatever sequence you
created as a Wave File and use it as a loop or whatever.  You can import loops
like you would through Acid or whatever.  It's pretty amazing.  If you are a
serious synth player, I would definitely save my beans for a Triton Studio.
That's where you will get a supreme piano sound.  Or go buy a Roland or Yamaha
synth.  The AI2 Korg Synths were not known for their piano sounds.  They have
some cool vintage stuff.  But I think what they did with the X5D/X5DR puts them
on top of the other AI2 synths.  Even though they use the same sound engine as
all the M models, N models, X models, I models, T models, etc..., I think they
are put together a lot better and have better components which allow them to
have higher quality sounds than those other synths.  If any of you have the
chance, go into your local music store and check out the Triton Studio.  It is
a true piece of work.

What is the best computer program to use for editing and sequencing with the
X5D/X5DR?  I have Cakewalk Home Studio but I really hate it.  I just purchased
Finale 2003 to write charts for my players, but I don't know if that's all that
good for sequencing stuff.  I would appreciate any of your thoughts on this.
Thanks.

A Humble Korg User,
Mitch

P.S.  I have that particular N364 bank.  I could email it to you if you like.
Let me know.