[klaatumail] Re: Cats Can Fly

  • From: Jaimie Vernon <bullseyecanada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:40:36 -0500

At Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 07:49:21 Glen wrote:

> I'm surprised you don't like 'em, Jaimie... They fit right into '80s
> CanCon, and wouldn't be out of place in a rotation including
> Zappacosta, Sherry Kean, the Parachute Club, mid-80s FM and the
> like....

You've just named a trifecta of blech. Zappacosta's a phenomenal singer but his
'80s output rivaled the irritating mung that Richard Marx and Michael Bolton
were both releasing. Sherry is a doll and had a career trajectory that should
have made her the next Pat Benatar. Instead, Capitol-EMI turned her into the
next Belinda Carlisle. And don't get me started on The Parachute Club. "Rise
Up" was a monster hit and has now become a song that makes me want to turn the
dial everytime I hear it (out of no fault of the band's). But radio has ruined
it and "Feet Of The Moon" for listening purposes for me. Nothing like a
zero-imagination playlist on commercial radio to destroy any number of great
songs after the 10,000th listening.

>Worst Canadian album ever made?

Yep. I'll stand by that assessment. And it was that wretchedness that caused
them to be the brunt of industry jokes even to this day. Mind you, CBS (now
SONY) laughed all the way to the bank. But the fact that it's no longer in
print speaks volumes about what SONY thinks of the record -- labelmates
Loverboy, Gowan and Platinum Blonde all remain in print.

>I have a few vanity presses   that would cause your skin to run for permanent
>vacation in Bermuda,
> forget crawl. And there must be a major label one or two... S;^)

I can't comment on vanity presses. With that said, I wouldn't rank a bad indie
album in the same context as a million dollar major label fail. When a label is
promoting 'the next big thing'...it better be. And this wasn't. They should
have let the band develop a little longer, write some more songs...and THEN
release a record. As it was, they were scooped out of a bar and given a few
months to write an entire album...and it shows.

Jaimie