[kismac] Re: Solution to AE Passive Mode kernel panics, unable to load Monitor Mode

  • From: "Brian" <whj6z7602@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:34:52 -0400

On Apr 30, 2006, at 5:11 PM, Robin L Darroch robin-at-spade-men.com | KisMAC list/personal| wrote:

To the other developers: in light of the problems caused by *not* permanently enabling (i.e. kernel panics among other things), I suggest we have the KisMAC installer permanently enable AE passive support right up front (and recommend or require a reboot following installation), then allow the user to turn it off IF they so choose, but when they do, warn that attempting to use AE passive without permanently enabling could cause serious problems. "alpha" release software is entitled to have a few bugs in it, but something that can crash your whole system is only acceptable on a Windows platform. :)

Just my $.02: I completely disagree. I think that's assuming way too much. I don't even _use_ my built-in AE adapter with Kismac -- I use a Prism-based PCCard for scanning/capture. From my vantage point, I'd be quite annoyed if an application even touched a wireless adapter I don't even let it use.

The most I'd be willing to compromise on this is to have it prompt to enable that setting the first time it's run against an AE adapter (this whole installer, reboot after installation thing is very Windows-like -- Kismac works just fine being copied from a .dmg to / Applications, or wherever you desire). Let's not lose sight of the fact that this is a Mac application; no unnecessary installers mucking about with things that don't (or shouldn't) belong to them! ;-)

Again, just MHO.

 - Brian