[kismac] Re: MAC spoofing...

  • From: Andrew1300@xxxxxxx
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:40:33 EST

>On Monday, Mar 3, 2003, at 16:09 America/Detroit, wire less wrote:
>

>> I'm wondering if it would be possible to add MAC Spoofing capability
>> to KisMAC? Or if anyone knows of any way to spoof the MAC on a OS X
>> system. I'm interested in using it for some wireless testing.
>
>In order to spoof a MAC address on the mac you need to rebuild your
>kernel, but DHCP is not supported, so it is pretty much rendered
>useless.  Also, your airport card has its own MAC, so I'm not sure that
>this would be of any use for wardriving.

This is of great use for accessing BaseStations that are using MAC
Address-based authentication.  Awesome part is with a wireless sniffer
like KisMAC you can also see the MAC addresses of users on that
basestation to clone, so you know where to start.  And if DHCP is not
available... well then shit, it's not like every basestation happens to
work on 192.168, or 10.10, and it's not like all of their basestation IP
addresses aren't the base-ip of that range (192.168.0.1 / 10.0.0.1) that
would be ludicrous, lol.  Go wardriving a bit man, you'll see.  =)  When
you come to a odd basestation you can't associate with properly, and it
doesn't require a password, 4 times out of 5 it is using MAC
authentication.