[kismac] Re: Hawking H WU36D USB Adapter

  • From: Michael Capizzo <mikecapz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:30:59 -0400

Well, my friend made me borrow his Linksys WUSB11 and it won't work, I keep getting an error:
A driver error occured with your USB device, make sure it is properly connected. Scanning will be canceled. Errors may have be printed to console.log. I can't find any drivers for it.
On Aug 15, 2005, at 5:32 PM, Piotr Malecki wrote:

Check to see if there are Mac OS X drivers available for the adapter
you're going to buy before you do. Also make sure that the company
didn't change chipsets in a product and only change the hardware
revision number (damn you D-Link).

Here's my experience:

1) Airport Extreme
    - works in active mode
    - somewhat weak reception (supposedly b/c of the antenna cable
being crushed by the LCD hinge)

2) D-Link DWL-G122 (802.11g USB 2.0 Wifi adapter)
    - 2 hardware revisions (rev B is based on the RALINK 2500 chipset
and supposedly works with a driver from the RALINK webpage.)
Unfortunately I got the rev A.
    - damn D-Link copied the DWL-122 manual and pretended that the rev
A works with Mac OS X - It doesn't!
    - I don't know if the rev B one will work with Kismac or not.

3) D-Link DWL-122 (802.11b USB 1.1 Wifi adapter)
    - works in passive mode
    - the most popular non-Airport Mac OS X USB Wifi adapter
    - also works with Tivo
    - has a Mac OS X driver and utility
    - quite inexpensive on eBay
    - will not work after iBook wakes up from sleep - needs reboot

Happy hunting!

Piotr

On 8/15/05, Michael Capizzo <mikecapz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As you all know the APE does not go into passive mode and the iBook does not
have a PCI slot, therefore I need a USB option. I've been looking into the
Hawking H WU36D USB Adapter and it's looks promising because it is reported
working under the hardware list. Does anyone have any experience with this
adapter? Also, I'm looking into the Linksys 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter
(WUSB11), has any one used this card? Thanks.