[kismac] Re: Hawking H WU36D USB Adapter

  • From: Piotr Malecki <maleckip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:32:31 -0400

Check to see if there are Mac OS X drivers available for the adapter
you're going to buy before you do. Also make sure that the company
didn't change chipsets in a product and only change the hardware
revision number (damn you D-Link).

Here's my experience:

1) Airport Extreme
    - works in active mode
    - somewhat weak reception (supposedly b/c of the antenna cable
being crushed by the LCD hinge)

2) D-Link DWL-G122 (802.11g USB 2.0 Wifi adapter)
    - 2 hardware revisions (rev B is based on the RALINK 2500 chipset
and supposedly works with a driver from the RALINK webpage.)
Unfortunately I got the rev A.
    - damn D-Link copied the DWL-122 manual and pretended that the rev
A works with Mac OS X - It doesn't!
    - I don't know if the rev B one will work with Kismac or not.

3) D-Link DWL-122 (802.11b USB 1.1 Wifi adapter)
    - works in passive mode
    - the most popular non-Airport Mac OS X USB Wifi adapter
    - also works with Tivo
    - has a Mac OS X driver and utility
    - quite inexpensive on eBay
    - will not work after iBook wakes up from sleep - needs reboot

Happy hunting!

Piotr