[kismac] Re: Fwd: Question about Packets/Weak Packet Rates?

  • From: Stroller <MacMonster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:04:10 +0000

On Dec 30, 2004, at 6:28 pm, Max Palatnik wrote:

I beleive it's an airport, just an airport nto an airport extreme
card.  I've never seen anything while messing with the computer to
lead me to believe otherwise.

Apple > About this Mac > More Info > Airport Card should say.

I was using the viha driver in passive
mode (i've read a lot about the airport extreme compatibility issues).

I'm not familiar with the viha driver - perhaps you have a later version of KisMAC than I do?
The selection I have is illustrated at <http://mac.stroller.uk.eu.org/KisMacDrivers.jpg>, which seems to be the same as he documentation at <http://binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/kismac/docu/pgs/ beginnerguide.var>.

Interestingly enough, after i sent that email, my laptop managed to
find 620 or so weak packets.  But now, 72 hours later, has only fonud
another 100 weak packets or so since then.

I don't quite understand why so few packets are coming through as
traffic, but perhaps that has something to do with why it's not
detecting weak packets?

Are you channel-hopping when you're collecting packets? If you wish to collect packets from only one channel it is more efficient to select only that from KisMac's channel menu <http://mac.stroller.uk.eu.org/KisMacChooseChannel.jpg>, otherwise you will be listening to uninteresting packets for about 10/12 of the time. Note that, last time I checked & using my Prism driver at least, you must be in channel-hopping mode when you press KisMAC's "scan" button, and can only change to a single channel after the scanning has started. See <//www.freelists.org/archives/kismac/08-2004/msg00024.html>

HTH,

Stroller.