[kinovea-dev] Re: Direct2D

  • From: Joan <joan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kinovea-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 01:38:16 +0200

Hi,

1. FFmpeg update
Generally I update the ffmpeg during the first experimental version and then leave it until the following official release.
The last update was thus right after 0.8.7, last year.
(There is also a bit of info in "history.txt" file in \Refs\FFMpeg-r23012\)

It would definitely be beneficial to update to a more recent version, and it is planned for the 0.8.16 version (considering 0.8.15 to be the next stable release).

However I'm a bit concerned with the recent mess (fork initiated by some members with web server admin rights, Ramiro Polla stopping his Windows builds, etc.). From my (limited) experience and knowledge of the project, I put all my confidence in Michael Niedermayer branch to be top notch, and I'd like to use his repository. They have moved versionning to git, I don't know if someone has taken over automated builds for Windows (Could you check ?).

By the way, in addition to bug fixes, WebM, and other stuff, they also have a new library libavfilter that will be interesting for some future functions. (Like image rotation, better deinterlacing, etc.).

2. Threading
If I'm not mistaken the ffmpeg decoding is already running in its own thread (the thread of the multimedia timer, which is spawned from the UI thread in PlayerScreenUserInterface).

3. Input buffer
I'm all for an input buffer. I haven't thought much about how to do it though. (When to decode without taking all CPU ? How many frames ? etc.) If you want to dive into this, you're welcome, let me know if anything is unclear. I guess I should start by translating the comments that are still in french. (Interfacing with ffmpeg routines has always been the most laborious part of the code for me…).

4. Misc
In the months after the next release I would also like to initiate two other refactoring efforts : 1. One concerning the drawing tools (I have already started to work on it) to make it easier to add and manage drawing tools and drawings. 2. The other concerning the decoding, to add a layer of abstraction to the "VideoFile" class, for file types that are not supported by ffmpeg (so we can switch file reader on the fly). This is happening with animated GIF (easy to work with in .NET but ffmpeg only gets the first frame).

Joan.

Just wondering when the ffmpeg was last updated? Would a newer version bring better results (I noticed VC8 is not in the headers). Additionally would it be easy to get it to run in a separate thread in the playerserver code and create an in/out style memory buffer there where frames are loaded ahead of them being called?