[kinovea-dev] Re: Direct2D

  • From: Hugh <greatview@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kinovea-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 23:42:26 +0100

I?m in a rush, so just quickly:

·         As long as there is a sound way to destroy it and any threads it
may create, then all is good!  I just came from outside C# so not so use to
it all.

·         The DrawVideoBitmap() was very much a hack to try and get it to
work in the current program.  It would be good if it can draw straight onto
a DirectX style object, and do all rendering on it (there are many functions
for it).  Obviously the more it is in the hardware (and not just copied
over), the best results will occur.

I don?t know enough about FFMPEG to know if it is possible to draw from it
onto these surfaces, but I?m sure it must be since VLC is very quick at
rendering.

·         The whole class was designed to have a module feel to it, but also
to fit into the current program.  I did something close to what you have to
do the rendering, but I hope the class can easily be changed to fit any new
designs.  As I did more work on it, I realised there were other bottle necks
in the program that would need to be fixed get it fully working (like
drawing onto DirectX objects, new rendering process etc).

·         I left the other classes (like DirectX 9 and 10) mainly because
Windows XP does not support Direct2D.  However I guess there is a time
people must decide to move on.  They would be much harder to work with as
you must draw the shapes in the perspective, not simply simple objects.
Direct2D also has many other small advantages like for remote desktop,
integration etc.  I never tested them, but didn?t want to remove the options
in case someone wanted to go down this path in the future.  Personally I
favour Direct2D the most.

At the moment I am rather limited for time (sorry!), but this is something I
would love to see in the program.

Hugh