[JYO] Re: A note from Phil... was: AOPA credit card rebate

  • From: FlyboyEd@xxxxxxx
  • To: jyo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:48:33 EDT

Ed  -

Thought I would share this response I am sending those who  follow-up my
letter with questions and criticisms ... feel free to post  ...

I have received the email you sent relative to my recent letter  explaining
the change in the AOPA credit card âFBO Rebate Programâ caused  by the
merger
of our long time credit card partner, MBNA and the Bank of  America.  Sending
you a personal  letter in advance of the official announcement, required by
banking regulations,  was at my insistence.  I wanted you  to hear directly
from
me, rather the impersonal nature of a bank  communication.  Please accept my
apology for not providing enough detail to satisfy your concerns.
First and foremost, in a perfect world, there is absolutely no way  AOPA
wanted to change the 5% FBO Rebate, other than to continue to make it  better.
As
AOPAâs leader, I was  very instrumental in convincing the bank to implement
the original program â and  it started at 2%.  We worked with  MBNA to
increase
it first to 3%, then to the 5% of today.  AOPA worked with the bank to make
it  easier to redeem the rebate, with a fax alternative, and eventually online.
 We didn't do all this to end the  program.  We did it to provide  members
with a unique aviation cash rebate program attached to the Association  credit
card.
And, while the rebate program was used by only a minority of our  AOPA credit
card holders it certainly was important to those of us who found the
financial offsets to our flying valuable.  Yes, I personally kept the monthly
hangar
bill and my annual on the AOPA  MasterCard and benefited by almost reaching
the $250 maximum rebate each  year.
The fact remains, businesses are sold, fail or merge, and the MBNA  / Bank of
America merger was front-page news in the Wall Street Journal and  other
financial publications.  This  major transaction was beyond the scope of
influence
your Association might exert  on two banking âgiantsâ. In exploring
alternatives, which we did exhaustively,  there are no options in other
companies that
make better economic sense for AOPA  and the member, especially when one
considers that the Association must start  from scratch, since existing
cardholders stay with Bank of America, unless they  cancel.  .
Letâs also keep in mind that the real reason for having the  AOPA credit card
has always been to support General Aviation, and that has not  changed. Your
Association depends heavily on the royalty we receive from the  credit card
program, and it is the largest single source of income for  AOPA.  In the midst
of the merger,  let me assure you that my staff and I worked hard to maintain
the level of  support that helps us pay for the advocacy efforts that keep you
flying and the  services, like free weather, flight planning, and airport
information, that you  value as an active pilot. When I became AOPAâs third
president in 1990, the  membership dues were $39 a year.  Due in large part to
the
membership using our AOPA branded credit card,  dues in 2006 are still the
same $39 annual fee. As those of you in business well  know, we have added
hundreds of no-charge member products, created a world class  website, and
other
services, and all this without raising dues.
While I understand that you may have many credit cards in your  wallet, I
hope youâll keep in mind that only one - the AOPA WorldPoints  Rewards credit
card -will give back to general aviation while rewarding  you for every
purchase
you make. While I know it doesnât match the value of  the 5% Rebate with a
$250 annual max, the greatest group of rebate users was not  in your and my  â
max-outâ league,  but had an annual rebate of $93.
Thanks for allowing me this extra explanation, and I hope you will  please
continue to show your support for AOPA and GA by continuing to use your
current
card. You can continue to earn your rebate through the end of the year,  and
your current card will automatically begin earning aviation double reward
points as of January 1, 2007.
--Phil