[JA] Re: marking and saving messages

  • From: George Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 04:13:39 GMT

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 jamu007@xxxxxxxx writes:

>I would like to select multiple messages and then
>save them.  Anyone know how?

Hi J.R.U., and All,

You can save multiple messages as "One" text file in Juno v3 and up by
selecting multiple messages in the Read window and starting a "Forward"
message... then moving to the Write screen where the multiple messages will all
be stacked up as attachments...  but don't send the message, instead, save it
with *File/Export Message to a Text File*.  You'll end up with "one" text file
containing all of the messages.  Those that are written in HTML, like most spam
and those viruses using scripting to activate,  will be pretty hard to read...
are you willing to pay that price?

I'd like to suggest an alternative for you. I've been using a little program
called ePrompter more and more lately.  You can use it to preview your Juno
mail, and like this message, can even use to respond to your Juno mail.  It's
totally separate from the Juno software and works by going into your account
through the Web mail interface.  It only displays text, doesn't display HTML
messages or activate scripts.  You can also just download Headers initially if
you want.  It's been working really great for me lately what with the increase
in spam we've (or am I alone in this one?) gotten lately.  I just download the
messages via ePrompter, zap the spam and others I don't want, then make another
run getting the "good" messges.  I respond to the simpler ones through
ePrompter and never run the risk of activating the common viruses by
downloading through the Juno software and opening the wrong thing...
http://www.eprompter.com   It works with most any web mail site...  Yahoo, Hotm!
ail, Netscape, Phil's EPOP3, etc.  Might want to try it... it's pretty slick in
my book.  This is what "Mailwasher" is going to do when it "grows up" :)

>Actually what I really want to do is view messages with very
>safe software.

Have any particular software in mind?  I think you might want to check out
ePrompter...  seems darn safe to me...

>I'm very, very afraid of trojans and worms.  All I really want
>to do is view selected messages with very safe software.  I
>figure I should select a safe message and then other messages
>and then save them together.

If you suspect a message, you should probably use one of your known safe (blank
message sent to yourself) messages, then using the CTRL key select the
suspicious ones too and then Delete them.  If you're suspicious, why mess with
them at all?  Those "Cheapest Long Distance Rates" messages luring you over to
the dark side?  ;-)

George Lunt ..... so. cal.