[JA] Re: Switching to Another Juno Version

  • From: George H Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:50:12 -0800

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 James E Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx> writes:

  >>On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 thepccat@xxxxxxxx writes:
  >Meow> That older version must have been 1.49, there are
  >>no others [all below are updated to 1.49 and all above are
  >>updated to 4 when you connect with Juno].

>The latter, yes, but I don't think the former is true.  Juno before
>version 2 didn't have automatic update capability.  Most users
>of versions before 1.49 took the trouble to update at least that
>far, but they had to do it manually.

Hi Jim, PC Cat, and All,

Only v3 updates automatically to a "major" upgrade, v4.  Juno v2 doesn't
do it and while v4 will upgrade a few steps, v4.3, to 4.5 to 4.11
automatically (if you wait long enough), it won't jump to v5.

Many of the versions, including some before v1.49 upgraded via patch
files that ran on their own.  Some before v1.49 only upgraded from one
"short-term" version to another and patching was the only way those
"interim" versions were ever made available...  some of the v1.2x
versions moved a notch or two up the ladder via "internal" patch
upgrades, but were never made available via download from the Juno Web
site...  the installation files available on the Web site just "leap
frogged" right past them.

If you find one of these earlier installations check their \bin
directories for the upgrade.exe file.  I still have an old v1.38
installation on this machine and it has one.  Every time you open Juno it
searches for a "patch" file that's run by the upgrade.exe program if it
finds one.  I can't remember if there was a patch from v1.38 to v1.49,
but probably so I'll watch for one being downloaded so they don't sneak
that in on me.

Hey, I just upgraded my phone list on that old v1.38 version and will
send this message out through it... so check out the X-Mailer Header.

It's kind of coming back to me now...  when Juno ran an upgrade in the
"old days" they'd often do it on a "rolling basis" and it could take
weeks for everyone to get upgraded.  So whoever on the List got the
"patch.rtf" file first would copy it BEFORE they opened Juno the next
time causing the patch to run automatically and then delete itself.
Whoever got the patch would pass it around using accmail methods and we'd
"upgrade" our own installations that way rather than wait for Juno to do
it.

Juno even had "beta testers" at one time that were the only folks they'd
send an upgrade to...  although the upgrades usually managed to find
"unofficial" distribution on this List.  Your big reward "IF" you were an
"official" beta tester was for Juno to send you a copy of the "next"
public release on diskette without being charged their shipping &
handling fee.

George Lunt ..... so. cal.