[JA] NetZero Reports Fourth-Quarter Results

  • From: Carolyn Stoffel <carolynstoffel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 00:32:30 EDT

Billy -

>>       NetZero Reports Fourth-Quarter Results; Billable Services >>
   Revenues Grow 137% vs. Preceding Quarter; Cash Balances >>
of $135 Million At Quarter End; Pro Forma Net Loss >>
        of $0.33 Per Share

>   I'm not a expert businessman or an investor, so what does the whole
>article mean in plain language?  Is NetZero doing well, poor, or
>average?

------

Increasing revenues is good, losing money is not good, though losing less
is an improvement.

Either profits or losses may be affected by unusual events and they're
sometimes shown both as part of the result and separately, so that you
can see what is "ongoing business" and what isn't.

Some seasonal businesses typically have wildly different results at
certain times of the year so you may have to compare to last year rather
than last quarter. As a more "homey" example, my gas bills are high
during the winter because I have my furnace on. Comparing my summer gas
bill to my winter gas bill isn't mathematically fair without at least an
explanation.

Profits and losses are typically reported both as absolute figures and as
per share because the number of shares can fluctuate for a variety of
reasons.

Interpreting and analyzing fiscal results isn't easy. You may have to
make allowance for disasters, legal changes, business cycle changes,
seasons, special charges, mergers, etc.

Carolyn Stoffel
Rakena Basenjis - Puppup and Cotton
The Canine Contingent; The Puppuppies - Pendant, Insula, Mosey
Phoenix, Arizona
carolynstoffel@xxxxxxxx (No Internet access)
http://rakena.freeyellow.com/index.html