[JA] Re: NetZero Reports Fourth-Quarter Results

  • From: George Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:20:55 GMT

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 Billy Wong <bhs1989@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>>>>WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif., Aug. 27, 2001
-- NetZero, a leading provider of Internet access services, today reported
total revenues of $12.0 million for its fourth fiscal quarter ended June 30,
2001...<<<<

>>I'm not a expert businessman or an investor, so >>what does the whole article
>>mean in plain >>language?  Is NetZero doing well, poor, or >>average?

Hi Billy, and All,

Pesonally, I'd have to say "Awful".  They LOST $42 million in the three months
ended Juno 30, 2001 on Revenues of just $12 million.  Even during the 4th
quarter of their Fiscal year 2000, the three months ending June 30, 2000 they
managed Revenues of over $18 million...  so their paid subscriber base is
nowhere near picking up their loss in paid advertising and direct sales.

In the article Goldston talks positively about having more than 200,000 paid
subscribers, yet they had 110,000 of those at the end of March, 2001.  And
remember, there's been a lot of arm twisting of subscribers going on during
these two quarters which does not bode well for any major influx of paid
subscribers in the near future.

One of the major reasons why Netzero wants to merge with Juno is Netzero's
plummeting stock price...  closing at just $0.55 a share today.  In order to
stay listed on the NASDAQ they must maintain a share price of at least $1.00.
And they've been warned by the NASDAQ of pending de-listing which would be
another tremendous blow for the future of their stock.  But after the merger,
the new company, United Online, will be the one listed and will issue a reduced
number of shares and hopefully the combined companies will again sell above a
dollar a share.

Unfortunately, I can see the NetZero ship sinking and dragging Juno down along
with it.  Juno was very close to breaking even and I haven't the foggiest why
they elected to merge with Netzero.  I can't see it being anything but a sad,
sad year for these two companies.

George Lunt ..... so. cal.

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org