[JA] Must everyone install Firewalls?, was: Re: Re: What it means

  • From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 10:21:52 -0700

I must add that you do not necessarily need to install a firewall, free
or not. I installed the Zone Alarm firewall [after visiting
http://www.grc.com/ ] because I wanted to learn about it, to explain to
others. It works fine, shields are up, and there seem to be no problems
with my computer from it. I am now debating whether I want to upgrade it
to the latest version, which, for some users, has caused them to have to
reinstall all their stuff [this may be because they did not follow
manufacturer instructions, found on the website but not clearly explained
in the Zone Alarm Help or readme files], and others [who presumably know
the proper means of upgrading] have noted further slowdowns in computer
performance. Firewalls are cool, have valid uses, and getting one for
free is definitely exciting, but adding anything to your computer may
cause slowdowns and problems -- I suggest a more conservative tack.

I recommend you start with https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2, working
your way through all the parts of his discussion 2-12.

I would strongly recommend you do what is recommended at 5: Network
Bondage http://grc.com/su-bondage.htm
You can find other Internet sites which say Gibson [of
http://www.grc.com/  fame] is "full of it" generally, and that his
bondage recommendations  are excessive. [Gibson does a fine job of
explaining difficult subjects simply, and that irritates some others who
cannot do this particular type of education. The tendency then is for
some others to belittle the person, or pick on minor imperfections, while
obscuring the concepts...] I have not found anybody who states that these
Network Bondage recommendations are wrong or dangerous.  So, following
his instructions, as applicable, can be a free method of making your
computer much safer against attack, without slowing it down in any way,
or adding external software.

I recommend you note this from 7: Personal Firewalls that Really Work!
http://grc.com/su-bondage.htm
------
You need a Personal Internet Firewall if:
A. Your computer's files need to be accessed remotely across the
Internet.
B. You are operating any sort of Internet server such as Personal Web
Server.
C. You use any sort of Internet-based remote control or remote access
program such as PC Anywhere, Laplink, or Wingate.
D. You want to properly and safely monitor your Internet connection for
intrusion attempts.
E. You want to preemptively protect yourself from compromise by "inside
the wall" Trojan horse programs like NetBus and Back Orifice.
-----
The only possible "ifs" which apply to the typical standalone computer
are D and E [imho].

D will not be needed if there is nothing which can be attacked on the
computer [doing 7 will largely close this opening off...]. [Of course,
there is no such thing as theoretically perfect security -- even if you
have a firewall installed. We are talking here about good enough for
practical purposes.]

E happens if you downloaded some trojan program previously, and it
decides to, or is requested from outside, to "phone home." If you
download all sorts of miscellaneous software, get software from others on
disk, have a jealous Significant Other who likes to install spy programs,
 get on the bad side of the FBI, install what is referred to as "spyware"
[containing phone home programs as a condition of using the "free"
program], you may benefit from the warnings and controls a good firewall,
such as Zone Alarm [or if you want to spend money, there is always
Norton] can offer. There are trojan sniffing programs available which can
be used to detect trojans already installed on your computer [without
having to have a firewall installed], though I know nothing about them or
their use. Ad-Aware, see www.lavasoftUSA.com, is free and available for
detection and elimination of most known spyware programs, and does not
load down your computer when it is not scanning.

Otherwise, a standalone user [and likely many networked users, although I
don't know enough about networks to write authoritatively on this
subject] can get enough protection from following the instructions at
http://grc.com/su-bondage.htm and need not install a firewall.

So, I bristle when someone makes a blanket suggestion that everyone
"should" run a firewall, or, for that matter, that "everyone" should run
realtime antiviral software [I "acted in haste" to install firewall and
antiviral software on my machine, and now can "repent at leisure" those
decisions.].

For every choice, there are benefits and detriments, known and unknown.
Find out as much as you can about something before mucking with your
computer. And if you know more than I currently do about this topic, feel
free to share it -- this is how we can all learn.

thepccat

[...]