[JA] Re: May need to upgrade from Win 3.1 / Juno 1.49

  • From: J�rel DD Arbaugh <computerist@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, no-tag-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 14:35:01 PDT

}Subject: [JA] May need to upgrade from Win 3.1 / Juno 1.49
}From: David Ames
}Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 05:37:02 EDT
}
}If I'm not going to be able to use E-mail for free with Juno, then
}apparently I will have to use NetZero, or choose some paid service.  So
}far as I know, I can't get other services while running Win 3.1, so I
may
}need to get  a hard drive with some other Windows version installed.
}

        There are other services that will work on just 3.11, or even
DOS, with the correct software.  Look for the ones that use a standard
"DUN" connection in windows 9x/me or NT/2000/?? systems.  The info needed
is what would be needed to set up the 32bit "DUN" manually.

        That said...

}So my question is  this:  how do I determine the compatibility of
}available hard drives with my Pentium-60?  I believe I have something
}like 60MB.  I wouldn't want to buy a 20GB drive and find out that it's
}not compatible.
}

        ONLY 60 megs on a Pent class machine???  Even a slow one like
that!!!  OK, first find out from your local geek if you are using SCSI or
IDE/EIDE for your current drive.  I think SCSI drives are still more
expensive, but...  Them you have another problem: Can you even find a new
drive under 60 Gigs?  Even those are getting rare around here!

        You just need a hardware geek to look inside your system, and
find what is supported.  That geek can recommend components.  But before
committing to a hugh drive on that system, have him price a mother
transplant too!

        The problem with a system that slow is that a current version of
windows will outright crawl on it.  A replacement mother with CPU and
lots of fast RAM is needed for MickySofts latest bloatware operating
systems!

}
}David Ames
}------
}"Never climb stairs one and a half at a time."
--
Be alert!  We need more lerts!  Don't be aloof.  We got plenty.
--
| Computerist.    This user is located in California.  It is a violation
of California law to send unsolicited commercial mail to this user.
---