[JA] Re: May need to upgrade from Win 3.1 / Juno 1.49

  • From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 10:55:33 -0700

What you are saying is you have a Pentium 60 CPU and a 60 MB HD?  If so,
what you have is options.

I doubt that NetZero in its current bloated condition will run on your 60
MhZ machine, but what do I know, never having loaded the software? And I
don't think Win 9x will fit on a 60 MB HD with room for programs, data,
etc. Your 60 MhZ machine should run Win 9x OK, but fairly slowly.

I have temporarily lost the file I had on HD size limits. You could do a
Google search, or ask a question at a suitable forum, for example,
about.com, or, even better go to http://internet.ashlists.org/ and sign
up for some interesting and valuable lists on any of the topics in this
email. As I recall, one limit is set by the BIOS in your Motherboard.
This limit may or may not be overridable by software which often comes
with the HD to make a bigger drive work with older BIOS. [You could
consider putting in a new motherboard (get one which fits the case, or a
new case, which would upgrade your CPU and BIOS at the same time, maybe
adding sound and video improvements. All for ~$100.]

The most popular solution is to buy another Pentium class computer
(Celeron 400 or more) with 64 MB or more [128 MB should be great, but be
aware of motherboard limitations, and above 500 MB there are other
problems. RAM is inexpensive now.] RAM, running Windows 98 SR-2. This way
you don't have to pay to upgrade one part and suffer the limitations of
all the other slow parts.

On the other hand, you may be going for a "world record" using your
current machine, and want to keep it running longer. With some work,
trial, and error, this can be done.

Awhile back I asked about keeping older 486 and Pentium 100 with small
amounts of ram [4-8-16-32 MB] online. Here is a summary of the
suggestions I got. Some of the people who gave these suggestions may
still be around. They may be reading this list. IF you are interested in
emailing them, I can give your email address to them and suggest they
contact you. You can connect to any ISP which uses pure DUN/PPP for
connection and POP3 for email, using either DOS [perhaps faster, but less
familiar], or Win 3.1.

For DOS:   http://www.arachne.cz  Arachne (browser) - no Java. Has own
email client, but Pegasus Mail for DOS is better and faster. A smaller
email client was mentioned: Steve Lawson's Goin' Postal. It was suggested
you sign up for Arachne email discussion group, lurk for awhile, then ask
questions. Setup a Ramdisk of 2-4 MB, enable Smartdrive, optimize DOS
memory.

In WIN3.X: [copy from email]
(I personally like the Calmira shell)
http://www.calmira.org [but I take it you could run the rest of this
without Calmira]
Trumpet Winsock v.2.1F as a dialer
Pegasus or FoxMail [for smaller systems] for email
Internet Explorer v.3.03 browser (w/JAVA etc.)
Opera v.3.50 browser (great alternative in Windows)
Netscape v.2.02 is fast, v.3.x and v.4.08 are slow
WS_FTP for transfers
mIRC for chatting
ICQ (old version is slow, but it works) for messenging
Instant Messenger (old version) for messenging/chat
Tera Term or Net Term for telnetting
WebFord (older version) for HTML design

I guess what I'm saying is either to go forward into a whole new machine
and Win 98 SR-2 [and have more speed and flexibility], go backwards and
run DOS on your present machine [and have more speed and space, but
perhaps some limitations], or connect via Win 3.1 using older smaller
software.

Check out http://internet.ashlists.org/ in any case. There is lots of
useful and friendly information to be had therein.

hope this helps,
thepccat

On Sat, 04 Aug 2001 05:37:02 EDT David Ames <worldrecord@xxxxxxxx>
writes:
> If I'm not going to be able to use E-mail for free with Juno, then
> apparently I will have to use NetZero, or choose some paid service.
> So far as I know, I can't get other services while running Win 3.1, so
> I may need to get  a hard drive with some other Windows version
installed.
> So my question is  this:  how do I determine the compatibility of
> available hard drives with my Pentium-60?  I believe I have  something
> like 60MB.  I wouldn't want to buy a 20GB drive and find out that
 it's not compatible.