[JA] Re: Juno is verifying your email folders

  • From: James E Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:49:30 -0500

> a contributing factor - from what i've heard since - was having
> far too many emails, (in many, many folders) with a particularly
> high concentration of in the Inbox. (around 10,000)

One nice thing about Juno 4 is its one thousand messages per folder
limit.  It also becomes slower as it approaches this limit, which serves
to alert an alert user.  When a folder gets too full, I rename its file
and the reader starts a new one.  Some people prefer to keep on making
more and more folders, each one having 980 messages or so.  Each folder
in Juno 4 is a file, making it more amenable to file manipulation than
Juno 5 in which all old messages are bundled into one large file.

Another disadvantage of Juno 5 is, processing that large file requires
plenty of vacant disk space.  Something like twice as big as the message
file.  When it runs short, well, you have seen the kind of unpleasantness
that can arise.  On the other hand, processing of that large file is
faster than Juno 4, at least when my folders of Juno 4 are more full than
they should be.

>  i am also interested in Bob Appleton's EMAIL4U.

This was relevant in the 1990s when many people had mail but not FTP or
Web.  It is less applicable in this century when Juno and a few other
services provide limited free Web connection.

> (my experience with Juno technical support was on the whole,
> negative.  one young fellow wiped my Juno clean, address
> book included, then assured me all was lost and that i should
> upgrade to Juno 6.0!)

Yeah, Juno, or more precisely UOL, is a cheapskate company, paying for
minimal personal brainpower on the help line.  That's why we help each
other.  The impersonal, technical end of their service is pretty good.  I
especially like Juno's server spam blocking.

> 1.  what version of Juno is best? (least likely to crash,
> but with as many bells and whistles as possible.)

Three versions of the proprietary reader still work, as far as I know.
1.51, 4.0.11, and 5.0.33.  They are progressively more large, fancy, and
loaded with features to make them progressively less reliable.  I like
the one in the middle myself, but it depends on which bells and which
whistles are important to you.  Version 6 has no mail reader but uses
MSOE or whatever standard POP mailer you've got.

> 2.  has someone created a consumer guide to the various versions?

Not really, but a lot of us remember that when you go from 1.51 to 4, you
get attachments and the ability to see the fonts, colors, and inline
pictures inserted by your correspondents.  Whether this is a good or bad
thing depends upon the taste of your correspondents.  Version 4 also
provides limited Web service.  Going to 5 brings the ability to inflict
your taste in fonts, colors and pictures upon those correspondents.
Version 5 also has "assistants" which are, approximately, macros to
handle messages.

> 3.   is it possible to run more than one version of Juno on the same
computer?

Yes.  Create a directory for the second version you are installing, and
when the installer asks whether to install into the default directory,
direct it to the one you created.  If you don't end up with Shortcuts
pointing to both, create another one manually.

> (i'm going to want to continue to use 5.0 in order to have access to
all my old email.)

I suspect there are programs to convert among Juno 4 and 5.  Both ways.
I am not familiar with them.  When Juno 5 became too unreliable for me, I
abandoned and lost the messages it was holding.