[JA] (JA) Re: Repeated loss of access to large email files

  • From: George H Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 00:55:21 -0700

A couple days ago "Robert M. Cosby" jvpoa@xxxxxxxx posted this to the
Junoaccmail.org Message Board as well as having Leslie forward it to the
List...

>I am so discouraged.  Juno has been my preferred email provider
>for several years, but I have again been locked out of accessing
>my saved email.

Again?  How often has this been happening?  Which version of Juno are you
running?  Can you open Juno and get into your account?  Are you locked
out of ALL folders?  ALL mail?

>My old email files from Juno version 4, and mailbox.bdb from
>Juno 5, have been saved to disks, but I cannot open them.

You've got me confused...  am I understanding you right?  You've been
running two different versions of Juno and all of a sudden you can't open
your mail in either version?

Or are you trying to copy back into Juno 4 old folders and mail, the .frm
folder files, and also trying to move back in your old mailbox.bdb files
into Juno 5, so you can read that old mail, but can't in it either?

In Juno 4, the director.frm file is a master file of all folders... when
you move back your old folders are you sure you're not bring back
duplicate foldxxxx.frm filenames?  Are they listed in the director.frm
file?  You'd probably be better off Importing these older folders than
trying to copy them back into the Juno 4 user file structure.

In Juno 5, the database files are a set...  mailbox.bdb, mailbox.atr and
mailbox.at2 if there is one.  Are you moving back all 3 of these files as
a set?

>When my Inbox and Sent mail reach about 3,500 letters each, the
>system either shuts down completely as it did in December, 2000...

You don't think 7,000 messages between these two folders is pushing
things just a tad?  You should aim to keep these two folders kind of on
the slim side in order to not tempt fate.  Each time you download, or
delete, or sort files in a different manner you're really putting Juno
through a lot of sorting...  more than ample opportunity for trouble.
I'd slim down those two folders in the future if I were you...  your Juno
will be a lot healthier.

>...or - this time - says "Insufficient memory or disk space  Message
>533-10066", as it did last week.  Nowhere is this problem addressed
>on the web or helps, and no warning or solution is provided.  Lack of
>memory is not true, since following this problem I upgraded my RAM
>to 96 MB (I had been doing fine with 32 up to that point), and have
>about 1 GB free on my hard drive which presumably could be used
>for virtual memory.

On the surface this seems like plenty, I have to admit.  But inevitably,
if you're getting this message cleaning up your hard drive usually makes
this problem go away.  I don't have any idea, of course, of how you've
used your hard drive or how it is formatted (FAT32??)  But with large
hard drives the simplest of files can consume as much as 32k even if the
mail is only 1k to 2k...  the way Windows works is to set aside a
cluster, as much as a minimum of 32k to store ANY file...  so if you only
fill 2k of the 32k, 30k shows as "Free", but is not useable by any other
file... yes, you may edit the 2k file eating up some more of the 32k, as
Windows has already set that space aside for just this very use.  Lets
say you run it up to 33k, now Windows sets aside a second cluster... the
first is full, waste=0, the second, another 32k earmarked and set aside
for this file contains 1k and wastes 31k...

So how much of your hard drive is available, and how much does Juno
need... or more importantly, think it needs to do it's thing...  who
knows?  But it's saying it doesn't have enough and you may want to think
about heeding that warning...  when was the last time you ran a Scandisk
and Defragged your hard drive...  if you haven't done that in awhile, it
may help.

>The recent problem occurred after I tried to import the old email
>files into my recent program files.  It said they were imported, but
>nothing showed up.  After I rebooted, I could never re-access
>my account files, and had to start all over with a whole new
>import of my account.

Yikes!  Did you think to back things up before you started the old file
Importing?  Hope so.

>Helping me recover access to my personal mail will help you
>solve this problem for millions of others as years go by.  I
>consider my email a major part of my life, and want to
>preserve and access it.

Well, thanks for the opportunity...  ;-)  and we've helped others with
similar problems, and sometimes things are just to far gone...  are you
regular backups of your files?  Juno 5 has a backup wizard, have you been
using it regularly? If your e-mail is as important as you say it is I'd
certainly get in that habit... and I'd keep my Inbox and Sent folders
slimmed down too.  Put some of that mail into other folders.

>Also, providing us with information as to what is in the various
>files in our User folders would be very helpful.  As it is, I have
>lost my extensive spell check and filter data, and don't know
>where it is.  As you know, that information is not retrievable
>by the Import feature.

Us??  Is that those millions of future users speaking through you again?
This list has been around about 6 years now...  trust me when I tell you
you're not the first to have these kinds of problems.

As to your Address book and Mail Assistant files...  address.nv and the
filters.vbs and filterls.vbs files... these can be directly copied back
into your Juno User account (be sure Juno is not open when you do this)
and Juno shouldn't be any the wiser... that is if you have that data
backed up somewhere...  we can't help you if you won't meet us half
way... :)

As to what the other files in the User directory are for, I know you
recently joined the mailing list and this rather extensive listing was
already addressed there, so I'm going to skip that one here as this is
already getting way too long.

Anyway, Good Luck with this Bob...

George Lunt ..... so. cal.