[JA] Re: IE version

  • From: Jim Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:56:28 -0500

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:35:39 -0500 outtolaunch@xxxxxxxx writes:

P>     I'm using Juno 5.0 Build 33, Premium, on a computer
> with Win 98 SE. My IE is (it says) Ver 5.5.

P>     One of the websites I use frequently (Ancestry) says its pages
> and images will load best with IE 6, and gives me a link to
> download it. (I've been getting some slowdowns and or freezes.)

A later browser version will seldom make or solve slowdowns or freezes.
"Best" in this context is more an esthetic concept.  The author thinks it
will be less ugly.  Usually this opinion is announced without testing to
see how the site looks with other browsers, which is to say it is
provides you with no useful information.  Perhaps you should ask the
author and your fellow users about the benefits of looking at that
particular site with different browsers.  My guess is, they will identify
no specific advantage or disadvantage and are wasting your time.

P>     Is there any downside to my downloading IE 6? And will it work
> with Juno, which I gather uses an integrated version of IE 5?

Probably it will work with Juno 5.  Later browser versions usually plug
the security holes made by earlier versions, and create new holes for new
viruses and other nasty software to exploit.

In summary, you are being invited to do something which will probably do
you no good and not much harm.  My prejudices being conservative (better
the devil we know) I would say no, thanks.  Your tastes may be more
progressive.