[JA] mail delays...not getting in - SOLVED

  • From: Jim Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:43:23 -0500

The JA delays having abated, I am no longer sending copies direct to
listateers:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:42:05 -0500 mmmcrae@xxxxxxxx writes:

> I'm back on my own computer (YAAAAY).  Jim, my
> web access was through another account, not juno.

Were the mystery not solved, my next questions would have been, does the
different account use the same calling telephone line?  Same called
telephone numbers?  Same computer?  You have to find out the extent of
the problem.  You must define the border between good and bad.

> He used one of those plug-in remote phone gadgets
> that use the electric line instead of running phone wire.

Those can work.  Some are noisy or unreliable, however, so it's best to
be careful and test the line before and after installing new hardware.

> Well it WAS a sweet thing to do, but when I went out
> and pulled the plug on the main phone line to the barn
> PRESTO - I could get my juno mail once more.

So, it was putting noise on your own line, which is an extremely local
problem.  When you speculated about Juno company policy, I thought maybe
you had some reason to think the problem was not local.  The next time a
mysterious problem arises, you should remember to say whether it happens
on only one phone line, only one computer, only one town, etc.

> anybody tell me if a cordless phone has the potential to wreck havoc
with the line?

Yes it has, but that's the wrong question.  Any model or type of
telephone or other device connected to a line has the potential to be
defective and make the line noisy.  What you need to know is not whether
it is potentially possible for a kind of equipment to be broken, but
whether the particular item you are installing is actually broken.

True, a device that accepts power from somewhere besides the phone line,
as fax machines, answering machines, computers and cordless phones do, is
more likely to leak noise into a line, but any kind can be bad.  I once
had an external modem that put noise on the line on humid days, and a
corded desk phone that made noise all the time.  Don't let a bad Princess
or bad power-line phone prejudice you against a breed, or you'll end up
making wrong decisions.