[JA] Re: Having dialup as a backup to DSL

  • From: "thepccat@xxxxxxxx" <thepccat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 20:09:37 GMT

I have noted often the dialup service is not prominently displayed on the
broadband website, etc. You have to look around or maybe call up.

I was surprised to find this on local TW Cable. One would think very few people
would take advantage of this, and not often, but they claimed to provide it
nonetheless. On the other hand, this provides some respite from the
not_so_occasional outages they have, between the antique infrastructure
[cables, junction boxes, and connections [if lucky with some silicone grease]
strung along power poles] and the incompetent tech people they have [one three
day outage--during a popular holiday--occurred because they upgraded the area
server or whatever and the software did not work and it took them days to get
someone to figure it out--but I guess you have to give them partial credit for
trying to upgrade the service before the holiday :].

-cat

-- Bob in Jersey <bob.in.jersey@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> Having a backup is always a good idea. Often broadband
> services also have a dialup provision so people can use
> that or use if they are not at home. For example, TW
> Cable does in my area.

Depending on the company this might only be an option for business
customers; ours (Enter.Net) might do this, but never mentioned it to us
anyway
[...]