[JA] Re: Having dialup as a backup to DSL

  • From: Geoffrey Wilson <glw4@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 13:48:07 -0400

Your question is timely for me.
Your setup is somewhat different from mine.
  You are using Juno 5 with a DSL service.
Both my wife and I have MegaMail accounts using Juno 4  (I reverted
from Juno 5 as I preferred the mailboxes to be held in separate
folders rather than compressed into one big one).

As a retiree I can get free Dial-Up Networking from Penn State, and
was using that until a few weeks ago.  For my Juno e-mail I would use
their dial-in service  However, if I happened to be connected to Penn
state Juno would use that connection rather than establish one
through its own providers.   This had advantages if I wanted to
follow a URL posted in a Juno message.

I am now subscribed to a broadband service from my cable provider,
and have set my Juno 4 client to use that rather than dial-in.  A
couple of days ago I did temporarily revert to the dial-in connection
when I wanted to send out a message quite independently of PSU and my
broadband ISP, to verify that a communication problem was not at my
end but at the end of the intended recipient.  I did this by clicking
on to "Connection" on the Juno 4 toolbar, then "Connect to
Juno".  This gives a choice between "Using a Modem" or "Over a
Network"   I assume that a similar choice is availabe in juno 5.  If
so, try it and see what happens.