[JA] Freelists is back

  • From: Jim Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 17:25:22 -0400

> Hello, just a quick note to let you know that after getting
> fried by lightning, the computer powering freelists.org
> (freelists.dhs.org) is back up and running

No hard drives in cold storage?  Must wait for delivery?  That's a
surprise.  When the 8 Gig hard drive on my BBS died a few months ago, I
was online again in a day later with partial (800 Meg) capacity.

Lightning killed my modem last summer.  Didn't know it was dead for
another six hours.  Didn't check, y'know.  Went home and replaced it with
a slow modem two hours after that.  Slow connection is a nuisance, but no
connection is a disaster.

> John had to restore the system from a backup made June 3rd.

Wow.  Better check the backups.  One good backup per month is better than
none, but there's no use doing it weekly if you don't check to see
whether they are good.

Now the thing that isn't working is Juno Web mail, or so I am told.  No
use complaining bitterly about Freelists being out of service a few days
when Juno can't get its Web mail working reliably after two weeks.

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org