[JA] Carolyn's Lost mail

  • From: carolynstoffel@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:59:16 EST

Jim -

>One thing I sometimes did when using inadequate hardware was to pare
>down >the size of the downloaded packet.  How?  By a dreadfully crude
but >effective method.  When the download has gone for half a minute or
two
>minutes or whatever time seems too much, disconnect.

I've considered that but was afraid to try it.

>If a couple hundred messages arrive every day, you'll be hard put to
>keep >up by this method.  You can reduce the flood if you can ask
someone >who >sends dozens to stop for awhile.

------

The spammers? More of that than private messages.

Actually, I wish more list owners would prohibit HTML though I think most
of "mine" do. At least two (of about a dozen) do not.

Some of the lists also have people who habitually over-quote - .long.
over-quotes, multiple entire messages quoted, too. Or forward long
messages, full headers included. I saw one recently that included over 3
screensful of .just. cc: email addresses!

>If your sister's machine has Web, it is probably also adequate for >Juno
4 >or even 5.

-----

I'm pretty sure hers is an early Pentium.

I'm better off going to the library. Errr.... libraries. She's 20 miles
away and has the ten hour a month limit. I don't go over that often
(mostly around holidays) so the library is better, despite a one hour
limit if they're busy. Even a librarian suggested I go to a second branch
for another hour.

>CS> I took a 486 into the shop on Saturday, retrieved it last (Monday)
>> evening. Cost me more than I liked, but they did add some goodies - >>
RAM upgrade from 16 Mb to 48 Mb, a unit that contains both a 3.5 >> and
5.25 inch floppy drives (didn't know such units existed!)

>Combo floppy drives are nice though it's been a few years since I had
>my >hand on a 5.25" floppy disk.

------

I still have stacks of old disks. Don't know how many of them are still
good though. I considered the practicality of having a small DOS program
that would do nothing but ask for a disk, copy the disk to hard drive,
maybe re-format the disk, copy the files back to the disk, next.

Too bad you didn't find a 486 or early >Pentium that was already
adequate, for example with 16 Megs RAM and >130
>Megs hard drive.  Fixing or upgrading old computers is cheaper for me,
>doing the work myself.

------

There's only so much I'm willing to tackle.

The 486 mentioned now has 48 Mb RAM (up from 16) and always had two hard
drives - 270 Mb (C:) and 1 GB (D:). Latter is empty. I'd asked them to
put Juno on D: but they didn't. Even C: doesn't have much - DOS, Windows,
modem software.