[JA] Carolyn's Lost mail

  • From: James E Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 13:27:05 -0500

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 03:28:25 -0500 David F Wooledge
<wooledge001@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Remember that JUNO has cut in half the amount of MB's we are
> allowed to keep on their server which stores the mail until we
> download it or delete it using the WEB access.
> Dave

Actually, Dave, for Carolyn that's the good news.  It relieves the
difficulties caused by bigger problems.  Her primary problem is, she gets
a couple hundred messages most days, some of them long, most from mailing
lists.  This would overwhelm almost any mind; certainly mine couldn't
take it.  Reducing this flood by dropping the heaviest lists would cure
that.

Second, for some reason she usually makes only one mail run a day.
Swallowing that much mail in a gulp is like eating one big meal per day,
only worse for digestion.  Me, I eat two meals a day, but make half a
dozen mail runs most days, and never get a hundred E-mails over the
course of a day.

Third, her hardware is a 386 with about two hundred Megabytes hard disk,
about two dozen of those free, and probably eight Megs RAM, maybe less.
This is barely adequate for a normal meal.  When you shove a feast into
this small mechanical belly, you should expect it to get sick.

These three problems would be even worse if Juno's mailbox limit didn't
throttle the flow.  Of course, this is an unselective throttle.  She
would be better off throttling selectively, by prioritizing the lists and
dropping those that use up the largest resources in relation to their
usefulness.  Until that happens, our advice is little use to her because
it is unlikely to reach her.  Perhaps she thinks this random message loss
system is better than deciding for herself what to lose.

She can also relieve the second problem by getting mail more than once a
day, and the third by liberating some disk space or replacing her
computer with one that can handle such heavy work.  Another possible
relief would be to divide the flow into several free accounts.  The
problem with that is, each account gets its own 2 Meg mailbox, allowing
more flow into the already overloaded mechanical belly of her computer.

Carolyn thinks the frequent new phone number lists are a problem.  That's
merely because the server mailbox limit does not throttle those
Kilobytes.  Thus, any new phone number list will slightly increase the
mass of arriving data to the point that it overwhelms her hardware.  If
she took care of the real problems, mainly by throttling the daily flood,
Juno's phone number selection lists would no longer be a problem.  An
antique 486 for Christmas with more than two dozen Megs RAM and a hundred
Megs free disk space would also help, though not as much as throttling
would.