[JA] Carolyn's Lost mail

  • From: carolynstoffel@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 00:25:19 GMT

Carolyn's problem at the moment is multifold.

When my 386 started running .hours. trying to processing the phone number list,
I started doing one mail run a day, late night, so that if the computer ran for
hours, I'd be asleep. Prior to that I was doing several runs a day.

Current problem is that Friday morning at 2 AM, I did a "daily" download and,
instead of messages processing in less than a second, each one was taking about
45 minutes (and could be "slowing down"). It's .still. processing those
messages! I've been over to the library twice and am now at my sister's doing
webmail to clear messages out.

I took a 486 into the shop on Saturday, retrieved it last (Monday) evening.
Cost me more than I liked, but they did add some goodies - RAM upgrade from 16
Mb to 48 Mb, a unit that contains both a 3.5 and 5.25 inch floppy drives
(didn't know such units existed!), modem cable, keyboard at no charge.
Installed Juno 1.49 at my request but not some of the other programs I wanted.
When I try to do a mail run, "general protection error". Not always at the same
point, but I haven't been able to access email.

Depending on how many messages were in the Friday morning run (it was up to 140
or so; daily runs had been 185 - 325) it .could. be about finished. Or, could
have another few days to go. Don't know how many lists I may have lost though
this batch has already included (and I'm just getting started) messages from 6
of about 11 lists I'm on.

Meanwhile, webmail has me a bit puzzled. For some reason, it gives me the
newest message first. I'd rather read oldest message first but trying to scroll
down to the oldest message has been  pain.

Sunday (2PM, MST) at the library, the newest message was from Juno (Sunday,
20:57 GMT) informing me that my mailbox was full and messages were being
rejected. 418 messages when I started, 188 (maybe one or two less) when I ran
out of time and was disconnected. Monday afternoon, same "your mailbox is full
and messages are being rejected" at 20:54 GMT, no new messages showing. I read
the remaining 187, still had some time left, so I requested new mail - 15
messages, read them all, sent a couple to my sister that I didn't want to
delete asking her to save them for me, out of time.

Delayed advice appreciated - when I either have the 486 doing mail (don't know
how long that will take with holidays) or the 386 back in service.

Also, don't know what happens when I reply this way. I don't see any of the
message I'm replying to so I don't know if it is attached to the reply or
disappears.

Not sure I'll continue going to the library daily but will probably do what I
can tomorrow here at my sister's.