[JA] Re: CONFIGURING IE TO OPEN WORDPAD

  • From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:40:40 -0700

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 09:05:12 -0700 bvcb@xxxxxxxx writes:
> Jerel said:
> >     If you use juno 4 or 5, and have M$-word, make sure that
> Internet
> >Explore is configured to use WordPad, nor Word, to open word files!
[...]
> Where is this control?  I've never noticed it.

I cannot find any control in IE or Juno to do this, either. Where I find
it [Win 98] is in Windows Explorer -- View>Folder Options>File Types
[file type associations] -- you might set Microsoft Word Document [doc],
Open event [choose Edit] to point to C:\Program
Files\Accessories\wordpad.exe. Then double clicking on any .doc should
open in WordPad, and, to open in Word, you would have to open Word itself
and open the .doc from there. I have not tried this, there may be a
glitch or so in this [suggest copying down the existing "open"  command
before making a change -- this way you can always edit it back to where
it was].

I have installed Microsoft Word Viewer 97 to open my .doc, and this does
not have macro ability. I also have Jason Levine's freeware Script Sentry
[see at  http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/ -- this may be the best of its
type program for the price] which scans all .doc to see if it has a
potentially damaging macro before allowing opening. Finally [though
trusting Microsoft Word not to have holes might seem dubious] Word itself
has a virus protect setting inside itself which can be used -- it simply
detects the presence of ANY macro and lets you decide whether to open
with the macro or without.

> Also, what happens if you open an HTML formatted message in wordpad?
>  Is
> it all machine language, or can you read it?

Ordinarily .htm document opens in IE, and is rendered properly. If you
choose to "view source" [or force it to open in a text editor] it opens
in a text editor [or could be WordPad] -- what you see is html coding,
and people who know html can understand it fine, the rest of us have to
learn to ignore all the "code" and concentrate on the text information.
On the other hand, if you open a html document in NoteTab Lite, there is
a quick setting to strip all the html code or all but the URLs -- this
works "almost perfectly."

thepccat