[JA] $10 Customer

  • From: Carolyn Stoffel <carolynstoffel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 16:19:22 EDT

Jim -

>Me too, pretty much.  I had E-mail in the early 1990s from BBSes, lost
>it >when they went out of business, and regained it when Juno started.

-----

Been there, done that, stuck to BBSs quite a bit longer than you did.

>Juno's monthly time allowance is, for all practical purposes, secret.
>When someone goes over their limit, they simply get disconnected. >This
>suggests to the ignorant masses that Juno has become so unreliable
>that >they have to go to AOL.

------

I had Prodigy for about a year somewhere around 1991/2. One of the
reasons I dropped it was that every disconnect was my fault - including
their overnight maintenance. They could have at least given us five
minutes warning!

The difficulty with using the library here is that they had a half hour
limit and you could only sign up twice in a two hour time period. Or
maybe you had to wait two hours to sign up again. Last time I was there,
though, I think the limit had been increased to an hour. One difficulty
is that you can't save bookmarks so you have to type everything in.
("They" need library versions of browsers that allow saving such things
to disk and retrieving from disk....)

Also, even when I've provided my own email address for a reply, whoever
you're writing may not use it. My sister has received such replies but
library replies are undoubtedly lost.

>A Frenchman in the early 19th Century remarked about a notoriously
>devious and unsuccessful political maneuver: "A crime?  This is worse
>than a crime.  It's a blunder!" >
The problem is that >hundreds of thousands of potentially paying
subscribers, millions of >dollars in revenues, are being lost through
simple blunders.  If Juno >alone is making such a mess of things, what
will happen if the merger >goes through and an attempt is made to slide
all the free users over >to >NetZero?  Will millions find themselves cut
off and clueless?

-----

Not surprisingly, I'm concerned that I'll lose email completely, that
they won't accomodate those of us with older equipment.

I sent part of the news release about the NetZero hours cutback to my
sister. As mentioned in a message a few days ago, she's just trying it
out now.

She sent them a series of questions to which they auto-responded with a
list of responses she could download. I saw three in a row that were
absolutely identical....

One that she still doesn't have an answer to is when a new month starts
if she's hit her time limit, which will be much easier to do with a drop
to ten hours from 40. What time zone do they use - GMT, MST (we never do
Daylight), or California time where they're located?

>After signing up my customer in a middle class part of Brooklyn, I
>bicycled over the Gowanus Canal to a playground where I found a boy,
>now >thirteen, whom I hooked up to Juno a year earlier than that one.
>While
>he was defeating me at a game that involves sliding checkers into a
>plastic rack to form four in a row, I asked about his free Juno Web.
>It's working fine but he is unaware that the company is changing its
>policy about free service.

His mother, a >hairdresser, is unlikely to be able to afford $100 per
year for >Internet >service.  I don't know what I'm going to do about
him.  Well, I intend >to
>rehabilitate an old inkjet for him, but as for his Web service, I >don't
>know.  At least he'll still have free mail.  I hope.

-----

Surely you have a freeweb - government funded - in your area. I know
they've been discussed on the list in the past. I remember checking a
website from the library but couldn't access the spot I needed - I could
see it briefly before an ad covered it.

Arizona's is available via Arizona State University. It was email only
when I signed up and I never figured out how to use it. Didn't try real
hard, I admit. I was too spoiled by .QWK mail to want to do the on-line,
can't quote, non-address book, etc., thing.

I've been told that web access became available, text only. Don't know
what the current status is, but I really find it hard to believe that an
area the size of New York doesn't have something similar.

You know, I think you should send the message I've quoted from to the
powers-that-be, though they probably won't listen. Aren't you close
enough to deliver it in person?

Carolyn Stoffel
Rakena Basenjis - Puppup and Cotton
The Canine Contingent; The Puppuppies - Pendant, Insula, Mosey
Phoenix, Arizona
carolynstoffel@xxxxxxxx (No Internet access)
http://rakena.freeyellow.com/index.html