[juneau-lug] Re: Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft

  • From: deadcats <deadcats@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:13:56 -0800

I followed these instructions to get Compiz/Beryl up and running with Ubuntu
Edgy release...
http://forum.beryl-project.org/topic-4831-hotow-beryl-edgy-for-intel-embedded-graphics
But these are also supposed to work...
http://lunapark6.com/?p=2501
If you follow the first, be sure to WRITE DOWN the last CLI
statement...otherwise you're left with a terminal and nowhere to go...
Since I started playing with the Edgy Release I've found a few hitches, but
nothing show-stopper (yet)...

The nice thing (at least with the first instructions) is that by adjusting
the Preference you end up with an icon on your taskbar that allows you to
turn-on or turn-off the eye-candy with just one mouse click. I found it
handy when playing games like DooM 3. It's been my experience that if you do
not turn it off, they still load and play but at about a 10% reduction
(again, based on DooM3 linux binaries) in a timedemo run on my machine.
YMMV.

regards,
-dc